Whether you're aware of it or not you probably have expectations of everyone in your life - for a casual acquaintance, perhaps those expectations are very low. Your expectations for your spouse or best friend, on the other hand, are probably pretty high.
But what about co-workers? You probably have at least some minimal expectations of every person you work with. Have you ever verbalized them? Or, better yet, written them down?
I'm talking about putting in writing what you promise to your co-workers and asking them to do the same.
Perhaps something like:
- I promise to say yes when you ask for help - I expect you to be able to tell me how you have tried to solve the problem yourself first (at least a google search)
- I promise to give my all at work (100+%) - I expect the same from you
- I promise to give you my full attention when we discuss something - I expect you to tell me when I'm not
- I promise not to waste your time with meaningless stories - I expect the same from you
- I promise that I won't complain about something out of my control - I expect the same from you
- I promise that I won't complain about stuff that I can control - I expect the same from you
- I promise to share everything I know - I expect you to do the same
- I promise to come to you first if I have a problem with you - I expect you to do the same
Have you ever used a contract like this? What would you add to this list?