Ask, Listen, Investigate, Confirm, Execute.
Those are five key elements of every project.
- Ask - ask questions, find out what the client needs. How can we improve your life? What can we do to make your job easier? What are your expectations? What if? Why not? What would make you saw WOW!? (the last one is from Tom Peters - I love that question!!)
- Listen - I've always tried to remember that we have two ears and one mouth, which means I should listen twice as much as I should talk. Easier said than done (for me)... but once you ask the questions, stop and listen.
- Investigate - this could be research or prototyping, anything to help get a better understanding of the client needs
- Confirm - take what you've learned back to the client and make sure that you have a clear understanding of their purpose and expectations.
- Execute - finally, it comes down to execution. You have to do it, produce results. This includes things like testing, incorporating feedback, etc. Make a plan, execute the plan, deliver results.
This is rather simplistic, did I miss anything?