My music collection now stands at about 60 gigs, about 35 gigs of that is on my 40 gig iPod. I end up shuffling most of the time because I can't decide what to listen to (the paradox of music choice?).
Over the last couple of months, I haven't been listening to my iPod as much... taking the place of the eclectic collection of music on my iPod is my PDA (HP iPaq hx4715) loaded with PocketMusic and a 6 gig microdrive. I still end up shuffling most of the time on PDA, however, it is rare that I ever hit "next". Having the reduced capacity forces me to be very selective in what I load. So, instead of copying all the tracks from a CD, I'm only loading my favorite songs. I have included all the songs from a few CDs - like Welcome to the North (The Music), Appetite for Destruction (Guns & Roses), Absolution (Muse), In Love & Death (The Used), Hot Fuss (The Killers), etc.
There are some other advantages to using the PDA over the iPod...
- Wi-fi! Enough said.
- I can watch DVD's - there is a great program called PocketDVD that allows you to rip a DVD. This is just awesome! You can watch the movies on your PDA or on your computer. I have also ripped several of my favorite episodes of The West Wing (for short flights).
- MS Office Mobile - I've written more than a few documents on this, and it's been nice in meetings as a note taking device.
- PDF viewer... the reading experience isn't great, but certainly good enough. I wouldn't want to read War & Peace on it or anything, however, between Mobile Word and the PDF viewer I'm able to read anytime; anywhere and everywhere.
- Voice recorder... I haven't used this much yet because I have a nice sony digital recorder (for doing interviews), but I'm about to try it out.
- Speaker... okay, the speaker doesn't have the best sound quality, however, I use it on occasion and it's been nice. It works really well for podcasts, where it is mostly just voice.
- Games... freecell and chess are the two that I play most often ("often" being a relative term, I don't find I really get that much time for playing games)
- Expandability... I've got the 6 gig microdrive with music, a 2 gig card with movies on it, and a 1gig SD card with documents on it. I also have a backup battery and one of those QWERTY thumb/keyboards (still getting used to this).
- Mobile Skype... I haven't tried this yet... but how cool, huh?
- Calendar, Contacts, Tasks... I don't use these really. I'm never far from my computer and have only taken one trip where I didn't carry my laptop, even with syncing, this just doesn't add much value for me.
To be fair there are some downsides to it. It isn't the same great user experience as the iPod when it comes to music and the microdrive really chews up the battery.
I haven't gotten rid of my iPod just yet, however I'm starting to use it less and less each week.
What do you think? Do you carry both a PDA and MP3 player? If you have a PDA, how do you use it most?